SMT. HIRABAI GOENKA KANYA VIDYALAYA

There can never be any sound education of the Indian woman, which does not begin and end in exaltation of the national ideals of womanhood as embodied in her own history and heroic literature. (Sister Nivedita)

Realizing the need for women education in the post independence era, the Society decided to start High School for girls.  Accordingly, with 46 students and 2 teachers, the Girls’ High School was started in 1950.  Shri Sawalramji Goenka generously donated Rs. 26,000/- for the development of the said School. In view of this munificent donation by Shri Sawalramji, the School was named after his mother as Smt. Hirabai Goenka Kanya Vidyalaya.

AA

As on date, 1327 girls are taking education under the guidance of 36 teachers headed by the Head Mistress Mrs. Aruna P. Yadgire & assisted by five non - teaching employees. The School has an excellent infra-structure and adequate facilities of library, well equipped laboratories, computer section and a reading room. From 5TH to 10TH standard, there are 24 sections and these are all named after the names of the rivers.
 
The School is known to maintain a healthy and competitive academic environment.  As such the academic performance of the students of this School has always been encouraging.  A good number of the students have secured positions in the merit lists of the Board’s examinations and the attention is being paid to see that this tradition continues.


In addition to the regular academic programmes, the School atmosphere hums with various kinds of extra-curricular activities. The School has the facilities of M.C.C.  Guide, N.C.C. and various clubs including science forum.  The participation of the students in the activities such as games and sports, cultural, literary, drawing etc at national, state and regional levels is a regular feature and on many occasions the participants have evinced exemplary performance.  All these activities infuse a sense of confidence and leadership and ultimately help to develop and abound the overall personality of the students.

The School runs different projects like Savitribai Fuley Adoption Programme, Harit-Seva Environment Project, Science Hobby Centre, Gadge Baba Cleanliness Drive, Eye Checking Camps, Yoga Camps, Polio Vaccination Camps  and  AIDS  Awareness Drive.


The School has the history of highest tradition of excellence.  The ex-Headmistress of the School Ms. Durgatai Kango had the rare distinction of being the recipient of Rashtrapati Award in 1981 for her contribution in the field of education. Similarly, Ms. Lata Ghuse, ex-PTI was the recipient of State Government Award.  Ms. Vandana Dautpure, a student in 1977 was selected for R.D. Parade while seven other students from the Guide Troop were felicitated by Hon’ble President of India in 1988.